Chadar Trek in Ladakh is like no other trek in the Himalayas. Walking on a frozen thick glass-like river, with dramatic mountains on both sides, is an experience of a lifetime. At only 11150 ft altitude Chadar Trek almost feels like an expedition to the North Pole, where the temperatures drop down to -30 degrees at night, the ration is transported on sledges, you find refuge in caves and life blossoms on survival instincts, making it an eminently ‘do before you die’ trip. The Chadar trek allows you to get to know the Zankari culture up close through the locals you meet on the trek and experience their hospitality. One of the highlights of the Zanskar frozen river trek is the most magnificent waterfall frozen completely from top to bottom called Nerak waterfall. The best time for the Chadar trek is from mid-January to mid-February, that is when the Zanskar river freezes and you get to walk on massive slabs of ice spreading for miles and miles. The landscapes and overall experience will leave their imprints on your hearts forever. When it comes to trekking In India, Chadar is the most glamorous trek. From 2019 onwards, the local administration has made it mandatory for every Chadar Trek participant to undergo a medical examination at SNM Hospital, Leh post which a fitness certificate would be granted. We would provide more information closer to the departure date on this aspect. Continue reading here for all important information like - Chadar Trek Temperature, Route Map, Itinerary, Photos, and Videos. We have some essential blogs linked at the end to help you prepare for Chadar - The best trek in India.
Day 01: Arrival in Leh (3500 m)
Leh, which lies at an altitude of more than 3500 metres above sea level, is the second largest district in the country. In winters, as most passes leading to Leh are closed, you will be flown to the Leh airport which has the distinction of being the highest airport in the world.
As soon you land at the airport, you will be greeted by dry and cold air, but what will take all your attention is the lofty, snow-capped mountains all around; a sight that will remain with you forever. After completing the arrival formalities and picking up your bags from the baggage counter, take a taxi and proceed towards the pre-arranged hotel. Enjoy an overnight stay in the hotel.
Day 02: Acclimatization Walk in Leh
Get up early in the morning and begin the process of acclimatization at high altitude. Proceed to walk towards Shanti Stupa, a sacred Buddhist stupa, from where you will get an opportunity to witness a beautiful view of the sunrise and a panoramic sight of the town of Leh. Stay hydrated as you spend your first day of the trek in Leh.
Day 03: Getting a medical check-up at SNM Hospital
Due to the challenging nature of this particular trek, government has made it mandatory for participants to acquire medical certification before they undertake Chadar trek. A clearance certificate upon a medical check-up will be issued by the Sonam Narbu Hospital. One will get a certificate only when adequately fit and acclimatized for the trek.
Day 04: Shingra Koma and Somo Paldar
Enjoy tea and breakfast in the morning and start your journey by driving to Shingra Koma. This ride is not for the faint-hearted as bumpy roads and hairpin bends are quite common on this route. The sight of the surrounding high mountains will give you a sense of awe. After a point, you will have to deboard from the vehicle and trek towards Somo Paldar campsite. Your Chadar trek expedition starts here.
Day 05: Trek to Dib Cave/Tibb
Today, you will set out to trek to Dib Cave/Tibb. During the day, you will behold the breathtaking beauty of the region including ravines and gorges. You might not see sunshine properly as the steep cliffs in this area obstruct them. Once you reach Dib, you will see a large cave. This is the place where you will halt for the night and rest. Butter tea would be offered and we recommend you to try it. Enjoy overnight stay at the campsite.
Day 06: Dib Cave/Tibb to Camp at Naerak
Today, you will trek the most scenic part of the region and get a chance to witness the largest frozen waterfall and prayer flags. The bridge built next to the site of the waterfall is used in summers to reach Zanskar from Leh. Thereafter, you can proceed towards the village of Naerak to mingle with the locals and understand their way of living. Stay overnight at the village camp comfortably.
Day 07: Naerak to Tibb
On this particular day, start your return trip and proceed towards Tibb. The return trail would not be easy and the river quickly reacts to any change in the temperature. By now the frozen rivermight have taken an entirely new form. On the way back, admire the beauty of the region, click pictures and meet locals, who can be seen wearing traditional woolen Gonchas (robes). Upon Dib Cave, relax and stay overnight at the campsite.
Day 08: Tibb to Shingra Koma & Back To Leh
In the morning, get ready to leave Tibb and proceed towards Shingra Koma, crossing Gyalpo. The trail today will give you a chance to witness high mountains and pugmarks of wild animals like snow leopards, ibex and foxes. If lucky, you just might spot a leopard; even if you do not, then at least be sure, you would be watched by them. In the evening, drive back to Leh and stay overnight at the hotel.
Day 09: Departure from Leh
Today, the mesmeric journey to one of the finest scenic destinations of India will ultimately come to an end. The entire experience, we are sure, would give you an unmatchable feeling of achievement and satisfaction. In the morning, check-out from the guesthouse and depart from the Leh airport.
Tour Type: This is a group trek (cost valid on minimum 15 participants)
Things to Carry
- ID proof like driving license, voters ID card, passport
- Backpack (Rucksack) (60 ltr -70ltr) with comfortable shoulder straps, supporting frame and backpack rain cover
- Trekking pole
- Thermo Plastic Water Bottle, Water Purifying Tablets, and Hot water bag
- Gumboots for Chadar Trek
- 3 pair of synthetic track pants
- 3 Full sleeve woolen tees with collar
- Thick jacket and sweater, both full-sleeved
- 2 pairs of thermal inners
- Woolen monkey cap/balaclava that covers the ear, hand gloves + synthetic waterproof glove, head-scarf or muffler
- 2 pairs each of sports socks and woolen socks
- LED Torch & with Extra Batteries
- Cold cream and sunscreen lotion (SPF 40+)
- Snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruits
- SunGlasses it should be U/V Protected
- Toilet Kit (Toilet Paper) & Quick-Dry Towels
- Personal and necessary medication
- 4 Passport size photos
- Medical certificate from a recognized practicing doctor certifying your fitness for the trek
- Indemnity certificate
- We would love to host you, but in case you are unable to travel as planned and need to cancel your booking, do not worry. Our simple cancellation process makes sure you receive a quick confirmation and fast refunds.
- Cancellation made before 30 Days – 70% Refund
- Cancellation made within 30 to 15 Days – 50% Refund
- Cancellation made after within 15 Days – No Refund
- Rescheduling dates within the same trek – 20% of trek charges subject to availability
- The applicable refund amount will be credited to you within 30 days after trek completion date
Avoid wearing precious Jewellery while trekking, as Team TT won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without a refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands a good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
- After arriving at Leh Airport you will be greeted by dry and cold air, but what will take all your attention is the lofty, snow-capped mountains all around; a sight that will remain with you forever.
- Magnetic Hill and the confluence of the Zanskar and Indus.
- Beautiful view of the sunrise at Shanti Stupa
- The sight of the surrounding high mountains at Shingra Koma
- Behold the breathtaking beauty of the region including ravines and gorges
- Witness the largest frozen waterfall and prayer flags.
- Meet locals, who can be seen wearing traditional woolen Gonchas (robes).
- Witness high mountains and pugmarks of wild animals like snow leopards, ibex and foxes.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation. (Camping) and Leh Guest House (Day 1,2,3, 8 according to Itinerary)
- Meals while on trek (Veg.)
- Trek equipments.
- First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinder.
- Qualified & experienced trek Leader, Guide and Support staff to help trekkers.
- Transport from Leh to Road head and return.
- Transportation from Base Camp Leh to Leh is included in the package as per the itinerary.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Food / Meal in Leh. Available in Leh Hotel/Guest House @ Rs.250/- Per Meal
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Local Fees Environmental Fee, Wildlife Fee, ALTOA, LAHDC etc ranges between Rs.300/- to Rs.2500/-
- Porter to carry personal luggage. The same be arranged @ Rs.3750/- Per Day(5 Days) up to 10Kg baggage
- Anything not specifically mentioned under 'Inclusions'