The Grahan trek starts from the bridge that separates Old Kasol and New Kasol. It follows the true left of Grahan Nallah (stream), the stream that is a highlight of the trek. The gradient on the trail is easy, and you trek up nestled in the beauty of nature beneath towering pine trees. The hike also involves crossing a few wooden bridges, the second bridge marks the halfway point to Grahan. Halfway on the trek, you cross the Nallah over a bridge and hereafter the path is quite uphill. After a steep climb of about an hour, houses are visible, making you arrive in Grahan Village.
Day 01: Kasol-Grahan (9 KM)
The trek to Grahan village starts from Kasol, and one would roughly take 4 hrs-5 hrs to cover a distance of 9kms. The trail begins right before the bridge that falls before the Kasol central bus-stand. The track is more or less marked-out with red arrows throughout, but still, there is a fair chance that you will get lost, aesthetically.
During the hike, one would go through dense forests intermittent with the sound of birds and the buzzing of bees there is one element that won’t leave you all the way- Parvati river. One would also cross two wooden bridges, and by the time one would come across the second bridge, it would mark the halfway point of the trek.
It is only in the last 150 meters of the hike that one would start to see the houses in the village and what a view it is. Mostly the houses are built in a traditional way and some of them are almost 200-250 years old. Roam around the village and play along with the kids who will be found at every nook and corner of the village. At night, have your piping hot meal around the warmth of the bonfire while listening to the sound of silence.
Day 02: Departure
The next day, after having breakfast, gear up for climbing down and soak up the mini fresh waterfalls that one would come across on your way back to Kasol. Don’t forget to fill up your bag with munchies as there aren’t many cafes on the way
Things to carry
- Comfortable clothes
- Comfortable shoes
- Jackets and sweaters
- Personal medicine kit, if any
- Energy bars
- Lip balm
- If cancellation is done 10 days or more before the start of the trek: 75% will be refunded of the total trip cost.
- If cancellation is done 7-9 days prior to the start of the trek: 50% will be refunded of the total trip cost.
- If the cancellation is done 0-6 days before the start of the trek: No refund .
- No show: No refund.
Avoid wearing precious Jewellery while trekking, as Team TT won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
- The history of the village is unique and interesting, the local legend goes that Grahan was first located near the village of taboos, Malana some 500 years ago, till a few elders decided to migrate to their current location deep inside the Parvati Valley tributaries. The villagers from Grahan are the only outsiders who the Malana locals consider equals.
- Consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited in Grahan and defying the same can lead to a heavy fine. The villagers claim that all of them one night got a vision of their local deity Yagya Maharishi who demanded that all of them should give up on alcohol the very same day and also forbade the existence of alcohol in the village.
- The people of the village are descendants of two families and it is mandatory that the villagers marry only a member of the other family. They are not allowed to marry their own people or an outsider.
What is included in the tour
- Home stay/ tented stay on sharing basis
- Forest permits
- Meals (Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Snacks, Dinner) during trek.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Potter for personal luggage. Potters can be arranged at the extra cost.
- No airfare or transportation or extra over and above the expedition plan.
- No travel insurance.
- Any expenses towards medical exigencies and other emergencies.