Kuari Pass trek is very popular. The Kuari pass is also known as Curzon's trail since the British viceroy, George Curzon attempted crossing it and loved exploring this area. Though the pass is not very high it offers excellent views of Nanda Devi, Dunagiri and other Himalayan peaks. The Nanda Devi national park and the Rishi Ganga gorge are visible from the first day itself. The eyes are gifted with grand views of the peaks of Chaukhamba massif, Neelkanth, Mana, Kamet, Hathi, Ghodi, Trishul, Nandaghunti, Nanda Devi, Dunagiri.
Dehradun to Joshimath drive
- 9 hours' drive/ 294 km
We start very early from Dehradun and reach Joshimath by evening. The drive is through the towns of Devprayag, Rudraprayag and Karnaprayag. We rest at night in a guest house.
- 30 min drive
- 3-4 hours' trek : 5 km
After breakfast we drive from Joshimath to Dhak towards the road to Tapovan. The trek begins at Dhak. The trail goes uphill towards our right away from the road. Over half of the path is open and without shade. We pass two villages on the way. We enter a forest about a kilometer before reaching the campsite of Guling. The camp has views towards the peak of Dunagiri.
Guling (2800 m) to Khullara (3350 m)
- 4-5 hours' trek/ 5 km
The trail today has a gradual slope up. We walk among oak, rhododendron and pine forests. Khullara is an open meadow with a view of surrounding peaks like Dunagiri, Hathi and Ghodi.
Khullar to Kuari Pass (3820 m) & back Taali (3510 m)
- 5-6 hours' trek/ 9-10 km
We have an early breakfast and start walking uphill towards the pass. We reach a ridge, cross it and take a left. The path leads us away and towards our right to the pass. We spend some time here and then head back along the same way till we reach the ridge again. From here instead of heading down towards Khullara, we walk along the ridge towards Taali. We reach a small hillock with flag, named Chitrakantha. From here we get This spot has stunning panoramic views. We can see the peaks including Chaukhambha, Neelkanth, Mana, Hathi, Ghodi and Dunagiri. We walk down the other side and proceed towards our campsite. Taali is located inside the forest and is closed from all sides.
Taali to Auli trek; Drive to Joshimath
- 4 to 5 hours' trek
- 30 min drive
On this day, the walk is easy. The forest clears away soon. We pass by Taali lake, which is often frozen in winter. As we keep traversing towards Auli, the view of Nanda Devi peak becomes clearer towards our back. After crossing Gorson Bugyal, a large meadow, we enter a forest. A short walk further, the skiing destination of Auli presents itself. A vehicle takes us back to Joshimath from here.
Joshimath to Dehradun
- 9 hours' drive
- 294 km
We leave from Joshimath and reach Dehradun by early evening.
Things to carry
- Trekking Boots: Waterproof, high ankle with good grip.
- One Raincoat/Poncho
- Windproof Jacket
- Wind & waterproof pant
- 2-3 t-shirts/shirts � preferably quick dry
- 2 trousers (avoid shorts, fitting denims, capris)
- Warm Fleece, Alternative: a woolen sweater
- Extra pair of socks
- Waterproof Rucksack or Rucksack with rain-cover
- Water Bottle
- Slippers/Sandals/Floaters: Non-slippery
- Hat or sun protection cap
- Woolen cap/scarf
- Head Torch (hand torch would be an alternative)
- Sunglasses (it should be UV protected.) or use Photo chromatic glasses.
- Identitiy cards
- Personal Toiletries (toothbrush,toothpaste etc)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet and dry tissues
- Toilet paper roll
- Personal medical kit
- Sunscreen cream/moisturizer/lip balm
- If cancellation is done 10 days or more before the start of the trek: 75% will be refunded of the total trip cost.
- If cancellation is done 7-9 days prior to the start of the trek: 50% will be refunded of the total trip cost.
- If the cancellation is done 0-6 days before the start of the trek: No refund .
- No show: No refund.
Avoid wearing precious Jewellery while trekking, as Team TT won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
- Wild Fox
- Indian Crested Porcupine
- Wild boar
- Black bear
- Mistle Trush
- Blue-capped Redstart
- Blue-fronted Redstart
- Himalayan Griffon
- Plain Mountain Finch
Mountain Ranges/ Peaks
- Dunagiri (7,066 m) (Visible prominently on our backside from Guling and then on the pass day)
- Hathi peak (6,727 m) and Ghodi peak(6,708 m) are visible clearly adjacent to each other
- Barmatia (6,041 m) (Visible between Hathi peak and Dunagiri)
- Rataban (6,166 m), Bidhan parbat (6,520 m) are visible on the left of Ghodi peak
- Nilgiri peak (6,474 m) is also prominently visible further left
- Deoban (6,855 m), P6977, Mana peak (7,272 m), Kamet (7,756) and Mukut Parbat (7,242 m) can be seen further left from Nilgiri.
- Nilkantha peak (6,596 m) is visible further and its distinct shape can be recognised.
- Bhagirathi and Alaknanda during first and last day's drive.
- Rishi ganga during the drive to Dhak and back.
What is included in the tour
- Transport support from Dehradun to Dehradun
- Starting from a pickup on Day 1 to drop last day
- All vegetarian meals starting from dinner on day 1 breakfast on the last day
- Professional guide, cook and support staff
- Rent for camping equipment
- Clean sleeping bags and mats
- Good quality ‘A’ shaped or dome tents
- Kitchen tents, common tents, toilet tents with portable toilet seats
- Crampons if required
- Forest entry charges for Indian nationals
- For non-Indian passport holders; there will be an additional charge
- Porter and mule support to carry camping equipment and NOT personal luggage
- Tented accommodation throughout the trek on a twin sharing basis
- Guesthouse accommodation on the first and last day on twin sharing basis
- INR 2100 extra for single sharing throughout the trek
- All applicable taxes
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal expenses like tips, personal medicines, phone calls etc.
- Any transport support during the trek apart from what is included above
- Any cost or services not mentioned in the Inclusions
- Accommodation in Dehradun
- Cost arising due to unforeseen incidents like bad weather, medical evacuation, road blocks etc
- Porter/mule charges to carry personal luggage.